poinsettia

order: malpighiales
family: euphorbiaceae
genus: euphorbia
species: pulcherrima

first published on 09.05.2012:


At a friend's flat, there's a poinsettia standing on the window sill in the living room for nearly 2 years. It seems like it's been mostly forgotten, except the few times a month it's given water. During my last visit to her place, I and my friend sat in the living room and observed that the bracts of the plant were turning red. So we began to take a closer look at it and admired how the leaves had shrunk in size as a result of nutrients deprivation. We both agreed that with smaller leaves, the plant suddenly looks more attractive than those that are on sales during Christmas season, which are sometimes seemed as a kitsch. We then set out to hunt down a new plant to start with.

The plant I selected is so small that it fits perfectly into a small bonsai pot. A ficus panda used to be in this pot but it didn't survive the first month itself with me. Whatever the cause could be, I think I wouldn't want to try that plant again.

This plant on the other hand seems to be not as demanding. Since I already know what kind of attention this plant gets at my friend's place, I know what to do with it. Window facing the same direction, i.e. south. Infrequent watering and rare feeding: that's my programme.

The plant is yet to show sign of throwing out new growth. Since I want to skip pruning this year, I'm wondering how long the plant is going to retain its old leaves. I'll keep on updating once there's any change to this plant.

>>Update:


By August 2012 the plant's canopy has put on volume threefold. Old red leaves are still on the plant while new green leaves grow above them, making the plant a reverse of typical poinsettia seen during Christmas season. The size of the leaves didn't shrink down tremendously because the plant drew enough nutrients from the fresh soil I gave it during repotting. However a measurement reduction from 10cm to 7cm is satisfactory. Next year if I repot, I want to use a lean soil.

No Comments yet.